Thursday, November 9, 2017

Planting the Garlic, Sowing the Rye


It’s amazing how fast it comes upon me, the cold, the change, the diminishing sun, the slowly expanding night.   I’m no doubt in denial, refusing to acknowledge shorter days, the signs of fall.

We brought the plants in, mother in law’s tongue, springeri, Boston fern, all the houseplants that flourish outside in the natural cycle of rain and sun but can’t endure frost.  The frost soon came and killed the coleus, petunias, marigolds, and finally the geraniums.  Last to live were the pansies.

“Do you want to save these pansies?  Should I bring them in?”

“Sure.”

My wife saved their life casually, with little conviction, on a whim I think,  but the pansies now live atop the dining room table.  How pansies earned a reputation for being delicate I’ll never know.

I mowed over the peonies, cut down the perennial dinner plate hibiscus, chopped the oak leaves, tilled the garden.  And then it rained.  

The rule where we live is plant garlic on Halloween, harvest on the 4th of July.   I failed to get my garlic in before the trick or treaters came, and then it poured.  Too muddy to work.  The rain halted the grain harvest, flooded the jack o’lanterns, drove us all inside.  And when we emerged it was fall, with winter close behind.  Suddenly we had to prepare.  Did it happen suddenly or was I not paying attention?  I swear to God it was summer just weeks ago.

Today, November 7, six days past Halloween, I chose the spot for the garlic.  I rotate my crops a little.  Very little.  I moved the garlic to the middle of my skinned dirt strip of garden by the garage, on either side of the remaining Brussels sprouts plant, directly under the young oak. 

I screwed up irreversibly on that oak.  I thought I could move it without harm when it grew to six feet or so, but the nursery advised me if I had not balled the roots, prepared it for transplanting, the tap root would be established and moving it would most likely be fatal.   By that time I liked it too much to cut it down. 

I had grown attached to it as a seedling.  Soon after I realized it had sprouted, likely buried  among the asparagus stalks and forgotten by a squirrel, I cheered its progress as it grew taller.  Now it is a permanent part of the place, a junior member of the fraternity of trees headed up by the huge oaks in back.  Some year soon, maybe after the next, I’ll move the garden instead.

To prove that if you pay attention you learn something every day, or to disprove that tired adage that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, I planted my garlic a bit differently this year.  I picked up on something my friend, also a small-time garlic farmer, said about clove size as it relates to the size of harvested bulbs.

H was talking about some new seed garlic he got locally.  In fact he fished around in a can in his garden shed and gave me four or five cloves of it.  Said it came from big bulbs, and he figured it would produce equally big bulbs in his garden. 

It was that very white looking garlic, most likely a soft neck.  I prefer the purple stuff myself, which is a little peppery, has more bite, and is a hard neck.  I’ve been planting that each Halloween from the leftovers of what I harvest in July for some time, believing I was adapting it to the soil and weather on Fields Hill where I live.   But I accepted the foreign garlic anyway.  What got me thinking was what he said next.

“They’re big cloves, so you ought to get nice big bulbs.  You know, plant big get big.”

“Yeah.”

I said yeah like I understood completely.  Truth is I’d never made that connection.  When you take a garlic bulb apart, separate the cloves for planting, there are big cloves and scrawny cloves.  The cloves on the outside are usually bigger, double the size or more, of the ones in the center.  I’d been planting every clove, big and small, for years.  And every year I was disappointed and baffled by the size difference of my harvested garlic bulbs.  The scrawny bulbs taste the same and have smaller cloves.  Aside from being unhandy when cooking, requiring you to more cloves to get the same amount of garlic, they are fine.  But given the choice I’d much rather all of them be nice big bulbs.  Plant big get big.  Why didn’t I think of that?

So this year when I made my five rows with the hoe and began putting garlic cloves in the trench fat end down, I skipped those small cloves.  I put them in my pocket to take to the kitchen.  In the ground I put only the big fat cloves.  I’ll tell you how it turns out.  And yes, I planted that super white garlic too. 

After covering my garlic rows I put straw on top, laid the rebar grids I got from Wedge on top of that, and seeded the rest of the garden with winter rye.  Just poured it into a tin basin and scattered it around by hand.  After that I raked it in, covering it loosely with dirt.  The birds might get some of it but I put on plenty.  It will sprout in the cold weather, amazingly, and by the time I till the garden again in spring, careful not to dig into the garlic rows, it will be six inches high or so.  Not big enough to make grain, but thick enough to choke out early weeds and good for the ground when I till it under.  I save some of the rye stems for mulch between the rows.  Winter rye is nice stuff.

And with that I put the garden to bed for the winter.  I think of those garlic bulbs from time to time, hunkered down in the cold dirt, waiting for spring to poke their heads up and see if it’s OK to come out again.  Sort of like me.  When I plant the garlic and sow the rye, winter is just around the corner. 

Get ready everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment