Friday, January 11, 2019

Just Where am I Going?

I’m planning the route for my February road trip in the Buick.  It continues to run like a top. 
I drive to Pensacola in the panhandle of Florida to play golf with some guys from Illinois who fly there.  After that I join up with my wife who flies one way.  We visit relatives in southern Florida.  Then we drive back.  This year we’re stopping for a while in Memphis to pay our respects to the king, have some barbeque, and hear some blues.
That I am planning the route is something of a first.  On past trips I had a general idea, more of a direction really, but purposefully left out any details so that the trip would be spontaneous and surprising, even to me. Actually I started out that way this time.  Here was the original plan.  I knew it was counterintuitive when I tossed it around in my head, but I let it play out. 

I wanted to head to western Iowa to get into Rep. Steve King’s legislative district.  It’s out there around Sioux City Iowa.  I’ve met some folks from out there.  Damn nice people.  They remind me of the kind of regular small town folks and farmers I grew up with in downstate Illinois.  It seems crazy that they have elected an open and self avowed white supremacist, anti-immigrant, homophobe to the U.S. Congress 7 times.  But they have.  I saw myself getting out there and visiting coffee shops in small towns, asking guys how they are doing selling their soybeans, and then seeing what they like about Rep. King.  It’s the kind of first hand observation I’ve gotten hooked on.
From there I wanted to put myself and the Buick in the most remote parts of Nebraska.  I loved the black and white scenes from the movie of the same name starring Bruce Dern.   I don’t live in a congested place, but something about the emptiness of that part of America, and what life must be like there, draws me like a magnet. 

But when I began to look on maps, I saw that to get from there to the panhandle of Florida would require me to head south into Oklahoma and North Texas, then angle through Louisiana to get to Pensacola.  Big circle.  Way too many miles.  I should have known that when I imagined heading west on 80 into Iowa.  You don’t get to Florida by heading west.  You go south and east, or vice versa, but not west.   I try to keep this to a five day, four night trip.  I’m not particularly cheap but there is the cost of gas (low now though) and all those roadside motels and meals.  I decided it isn’t feasible.  Too damn far if you have to end up in Florida.  So I put that journey on the shelf.  Good trip, just not at this time.
Now I’ve got it figured to head east, a much more sensible direction.  Trouble is I’ve gone that way before.  But so what?  My challenge, like life itself, is to keep finding new experiences. 

I’m going to see if I can find the old Mike Pence, who may be President one day soon, out there somewhere in Indiana.  As the story goes his family ran a chain of gas stations that sold cigarettes in a big way, made a lot of money, and then sold their properties before they were condemned by the EPA for leaky underground gas tanks.  It’s going to cost taxpayers upwards of $20 M to clean them up, and the Pence family $0.  I’d like to see what people like you and me in Indiana think about their one time governor and six term member of the House of Representatives, now a heartbeat away from running the country.  He’s another arch conservative anti gay right wing white guy who has found himself on top of the heap.  Amazing isn’t it?  Maybe people that know him better than I see another side of him. 
From there I think I’ll go straight south, through Kentucky and Tennessee, and concentrate on Alabama.  While I was in the Chattanooga area late last year I read a paper that described what I thought were amazing political developments in Birmingham.  They elected, for the first time ever, an African American County Sheriff and State’s Attorney who ran on a liberal, progressive agenda.  I blogged about it.  People that know the area remarked that I should not think of the South as a monolithic pure red state through and through, but rather as a place with pockets of progressive voters.  Those pockets exist in more urban areas, but many think their numbers are growing and spreading. That doesn’t sound like the Alabama northerners have in their heads.  I want to see if I can find out more about that whole proposition.

I also want to visit the museum in Montgomery where they have documented lynchings throughout the South in one spot which represents them factually, symbolically, and artistically.  I’m embarrassed I know so little on that topic.  I had no idea of the breadth of the murders, or how recently they ended until I saw a show on CBS’s 60 minutes.  I think that will be particularly blog worthy.
From Alabama, it makes sense to head to Gulf Shores and see if I can spend a little time, at least an afternoon, on those nice beaches.  From there, it’s a hop skip and a jump to Pensacola and the links.

I share this with my readers thinking you many have suggestions of good places to stop along the way.  Perhaps I can make my trip your trip in a small way.  If you want to give me ideas the easiest way to communicate with me is by commenting on this in Face Book if you are reading me there, or privately through Messenger.  But if you receive a link to my blog via e mail just hit reply, and send me an e mail.  The comment section of Blogspot, my blog platform, seems problematic for many.  If I ever get organized I’ll upgrade that.  But for now, I’m trying to figure out where I’m going.

9 comments:

  1. Well, as Kipling said in another context, "you're a better man than I...." If I were to make the King-Pence-lynching trip, I'd eventually melt into a steaming, sputtering, angry puddle that would foul up my keyboard when I tried to write about it. My question is: How do you deal with the anger and frustration? Yes, we write, but at the moment of exposure, when we reply to outrageous statements with civility and then try to live with the experience for the rest of the day -- that's when I fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the bad shit is real Marydale. It does make me angry. I'm angry I have to live through this. But I want to experiment with ways to change it. I think it may involve listening closely to people and talking to them in new ways. That's the idea anyway. I find I can't do that if I am choking on bile. So I suck it up. I think you could do it too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Columbia So Carolina,was there w/Your kids , my Mike, & Don in bout '93-94. Don's alma mater, U of So Carolina:gorgeous, historical. Docks where slaves came in, shackles where they were auctioned, different sizes for children/women etc.Groqing up above MasonDixonLine sheltered us from actually SEEIN ITReading it all for yrs had no impact like touching those shackles. Such a dark spot on our country, till now, the Wall, same hatred. Lemme know id u hear bout a service for dear Tony,Hes w/Pat & Scott now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you already done a civil war farewell tour? They say that that war is over....people are starting to talk! Frederick Douglas is also doing his own interpretative blog. He was another of our generals, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if you remember me stopping you in Krogers a while back about visiting the Legacy Museum and the Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery. Here is the website: museumandmemorial.eji.org. I kept talking for so long about it, I bet your carton of ice cream melted in the cart! It is definitely worth the trip and if you plan on going, you should get your ticket on-line and, if possible, reserve an early morning time slot as we got there just before a large college group came in and it got crowded in a hurry. Whenever we travel in the south I try to get breakfast at least once at a Waffle House. It's not gourmet dining but the waitresses and clientele have never disappointed. But then again, I like Cracker Barrels too! The former, compared to the latter, is like meeting your grandfather's grandfather--if that makes sense. Safe travels. I look forward to you sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. You should make sure to see this Dave.
    Bellingrath Gardens and Home is the 65-acre public garden and historic home of Walter and Bessie Bellingrath, located on the Fowl River near Mobile, Alabama. Walter Bellingrath was one of the first Coca-Cola bottlers in the Southeast, and with his wealth built the estate garden and home. Wikipedia

    Address: 12401 Bellingrath Gardens Rd, Theodore, AL 36582

    ReplyDelete
  7. I indulged my wanderlust and love for open spaces a few years ago with the sole plan of circumnavigating Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska on a Yamaha FJR 1300. I rode as far as I could each day and stopped when I needed to for breaks or for the night, and talked to people. I remember many of the interactions intimately and vividly.

    In western Illinois I stopped at a KoolAid stand and a little kid wanted to make sure he made "the selfie"; I had lunch in central Missouri in the most integrated diner ever (a lovely, lovely place), ate Mexican in Nevada, MO and drank tequila with the owner and his best fried...I cried in South Dakota at a VFW memorial.

    I don't know how people elect representatives like Steven King; He scratches an itch that I just don't understand.

    Good luck on your trip!

    ReplyDelete