Friday, May 1, 2015

Believe it or Not II

Two volunteers at First UCC church in Ottawa pair up and count the offering, one on the computer the other on the deposit slip, each Sunday in a monthly rotation. Another guy and I do the last Sunday of the month. Soon after we started my partner, a young fellow, said

“So how many of your blog readers unsubscribed after Wednesday’s post on religion?”

“None that I know of. I’m surprised. I really hesitated a long time before I pushed the publish button on Blogspot.”

His face expressed surprise; cocked head, arched eyebrows.

“Actually I got quite a few supportive comments.”

“You’re kidding,” he said. “I was worried you were doing yourself in. I started to write a long response defending you. Then I just stopped. I figured you would hear from people you didn’t know were there. So I just switched to a one word response.”

“I read it, Thanks. It came in early.” His response was ‘fantastic.’

My post last week on religion did not rely on structure, nifty description, or the unexpected phrase. It wasn’t an artsy bit of writing. It was pretty much a statement. Saying what I think. I’ve rarely been so declarative. I’ve tried to remain a farm kid in that regard. Farm kids keep their mouth shut a lot. Keeping your mouth open risks getting bugs and dirt, hay chaff, and any variety of shit in your mouth, depending on how many kinds of animals your parents raised on that farm. Best to breathe through your nose and listen.

Readers respond to my posts most often by commenting publically on Face Book. Some of you react privately by replying to an individually addressed e mail from me to you, or send me a private Face Book message. The least common type of response uses the comment section on the blog itself. However you communicate, everything comes to me. You don’t see the e mail replies or the FB Messages. Only the sender and I are in on those. You can see everything but that.

Occasionally I share comments, discreetly, to the wider audience. I try to be careful about that. I want you to feel as comfortable talking to me as I feel talking to you. Let me try to summarize what you said through all those vehicles about last week’s post on religion. It was pretty widely read, over 200 opens and still rising.

Consider it a tiny unscientific sample that means statistically nothing. But we like to read comments don’t we? A lot of you are friends. I don’t try to characterize you, the people that read Dave in the Shack, but you’re a pretty good group in a lot of ways. For one thing I consider you to be smart. Perhaps you are a bit on the old side, but you represent all ages. A lot of women read the blog, as well as men. I suppose we’re mostly white and middle class. I’m just guessing really. Here’s a smattering of what people said, edited only somewhat.

A woman attorney from Seattle in her thirties- “Great Read, Dave!”

A working Mom in the Chicago suburbs- “Love this!”

An old grade school classmate ignoring religion all together- “Cubs suck!”

A South Side Ottawa man- “Well, well, well. I like the shack’s writings.”

A woman living outside of town- “I’ve always been a Cardinal fan, and truly have a Christian faith. But I respect your thoughts.”

An old and wise friend- “Interesting and courageous. Thank you.”

A family member- “Good one Dave. Bravo.”

My brother- “Well said. I've been thinking like that for a long time. Maybe I'll talk more openly about it now.”

A fellow writer- “You are a brave man. I shy away from this topic but also see the need to cleanse. Sort of like a confession. I follow many of your same beliefs but remain confused about many areas.”

A good guy who should retire- “Damn Dave you knocked it out of the park! It reminds me that after I had my heart attack a neighbor, a very sweet woman, was concerned for my spiritual side. In conversation she told me that she would miss her dog when he died more than her mother because at least she would see her mother in heaven but not her dog. And there you have it.”

An accomplished business woman and kindred creed mumbler- “Many silently believe the way you do. What would happen if we all spoke up? Unfortunately it seems today it’s either this way or that way, you are either right or wrong. I like you would probably fail a litmus test for the “package of beliefs”. However there are some to whom the rules and the rituals bring great peace and comfort. Who am I to argue with that? Maybe that’s all we need. Whatever brings us peace and comfort, with no one being exactly right or exactly wrong.”

I got points for honesty, for writing it in the first place. But I was also challenged by more provocative comments.

A published writer and former missionary- “If there isn’t life after death, what is God’s purpose? It sounds as if there is no need for God.”

A recently retired human service agency director- “I believe the death and resurrection are what sets Christians apart and is central to the Christian religion. Most Christians do not believe in the creation as it is written. I disagree with you wholeheartedly on the Virgin birth, but I do not condemn you for it. If there is no after life, isn’t it more of a secular humanist bent that keeps you on track behaviorally speaking rather than a set of Christian beliefs? Thanks for writing from your heart and I agree with (your classmate) Cubs suck!

A smart and good family man- “As much as I disagree and believe this matter to be eternally serious, I think you are far better off being honest with yourself and to others than trying to carry on as if you believed things you really don't. What I really, really like is your conclusion on the "good person" matter and salvation. However, there are theological implications to be certain, and if people are good, then there is no sin problem in need of remedy. That so many Christians think that people are good bewilders me in that one wonders why Jesus had to come to die. Of course, if one considers Christ to simply be a very good example, one wonders why the Romans bothered crucifying him. :) You do well not to honor God with your lips while your heart is far from Him (plagiarism intentional). And on a completely different note, why do you think there is no heaven or hell?

I’m at a distinct disadvantage arguing religion. There exist big gaps in my life when I paid little or no attention to it. I have little knowledge of Bible interpretation. The scope of my learning about religion is severely limited. I read the Bible and appreciate it as ancient literature. I especially admire the writers.

Can you imagine writing when so few authors were published? To be able to chronicle the oldest tales told by robed people around fires and record the oral histories passed through families and communities. Or to be a psalmist producing tight little verses. Can’t you just hear the writer of the 23rd psalm talking to his closest friend?

“Been writing anything David?”

“As a matter of fact I have. Been thinking back to when I was a kid herding sheep. Lots of good metaphors available when you equate God to a Shepherd. It came out really well.”

“How about sharing a little with me?”

“Well it’s not quite done, but it goes like this: “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.”

“I like the adjectives Dave. Not just pastures but green pastures. Not just waters but still waters. It sounds peaceful.”

“Doesn’t it? It gets better.”

“He restores my soul. He leads me in the path of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil; for you are with me. Your rod and your staff comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.”

“Whoa, It’s good Dave. You’re right. I like the ‘shadow of the valley of death’ a lot. But I’m confused about enemies. You couldn’t have had enemies when you were a shepherd leading those sheep through the pastures.”

“You’re right. I just used the metaphor. I have enemies now. I blended the past and the present.”

“Wow I really like it. It makes me feel calm. Is it done? Complete?”

“I think so.”

“You know you didn’t say anything about forever in there, about eternity. People really go for that. They like to think life keeps going. You might think about adding that.”

”Thanks. I will.”

They both paused. David went on.

“You know of all the things I’ve written I think this might be the one people read and appreciate the most. This one could be remembered a long time. It’s a good take on God don’t you think?”

“It’s definitely a good one. I think you may be right Dave.”

Yes, I think the Bible was written not by God but by people to explain God and later the prophets including Jesus. They used a new technology that later exploded when Gutenberg invented the printing press and spread the story worldwide. Were it to unfold now they might use Face Book and smart phones. It’s a long, old, jumbled, historical, contradictory collection of accounts of God, Jesus, and spirituality written, often beautifully, by human beings like you and me. At least that’s how I look at it.

Why must we believe in magic to embrace Christianity? One of the thoughtful responders to last week’s post conceded the story of creation, admitting most Christians no longer believe the biblical account of the creation. Of course not. We have the benefit of science. The writers of the Old Testament had no other explanation for the world they found themselves in and how it came to be. Yet he goes on to vigorously defend the Virgin birth. Why is that so vital to this story? I grew up on a farm. I knew from day one how new life was formed. Cows, sheep chickens, dogs and cats were procreating around me on a regular basis. Would it be so bad if Joseph was Jesus’ biological father, which he probably was? Why would that be a deal breaker? Would we think less of Jesus if he were conceived in the usual way?

Miraculous birth is not confined to Christianity. It is a common vehicle for giving humans on earth exalted status. The Hindus and the Buddhists have similar stories. Buddha’s birth is my personal favorite. His mother, Queen Maya, dreamed that four angels carried her high among white mountain peaks and clothed her in flowers. A magnificent white bull elephant with a white lotus in his trunk walked around her three times, struck her on the right side and disappeared into her.

She told her husband King Suddhodana of the dream. His Brahmins interpreted it as meaning Maya would give birth to a son who would become the Buddha. As time for the birth neared, Maya wished to travel to her childhood home. A thousand bearers carried her palanquin on the journey. Along the way she stopped to admire flowering trees and as she reached up to touch the blossoms her son was born. She and her son were showered with perfumed blossoms, two streams of sparkling water poured from the sky to bathe them, and the infant, walking erect and gifted with both speech and vocabulary at birth took seven steps and proclaimed. “I alone am the world honored one!”

Do you think the majority of Buddhists around world believe that story? I bet they don’t. Buddhists in my limited knowledge believe in humility and compassion. They exemplify and teach values which point to a way in which people can live in harmony with the world. Buddhism is a force in the world, a set of beliefs and concepts as are all religions, whose aim I think is leading human beings to lives that are better and more fulfilling.

The most poignant questions, the most salient points posed in your comments are these.

If there isn’t life after death, what is God’s purpose?

Why do you think there is no heaven or hell?

That so many Christians think people are good bewilders me. If that is so, why did Jesus have to come to die?

If there is no after life, isn’t it more of a secular humanist bent that keeps you on track behaviorally speaking rather than a set of Christian beliefs?

I think God’s purpose is to lead us to a better life, and to be there when we need help. I’ve turned to God when I could talk to no one else. Desperate prayer. To find you are not alone when you are in deep despair is a comfort like no other.

I don’t think Jesus necessarily had to die. I think he was murdered by a threatened government. I wish he had been able to escape, build a shack on the Galilee, settle down with Mary Magdalene, have kids, and continue to teach until he was old, like Mohammed. But that was not to be. But now I’m being provocative.

I don’t believe in heaven or hell because, in addition to being extremely crowded places and difficult to manage if they exist; I don’t think they are necessary. I think they were imagined by man as motivational devices. Do we live good lives because we fear being damned to hell? Conversely would we not love our neighbor if we were not rewarded with eternal life in heaven? I think we would and that we do. Living well on this earth is its own reward. I am kept on track behaviorally (how much I follow that track is the subject of significant debate) in large part by Christian belief, but not belief in heaven or hell, the virgin birth, or resurrection.

I believe in Christian ideas like these found in The Sermon on the Plain. The words are attributed to Jesus by a person (believed to be Luke) writing in a different language than ours hundreds of years later. Here’s how it translates.

“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you … And as you wish that men would do unto you, do so to them.

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. …But love your enemies and do good, and lend, and expect nothing in return; and your reward will be great… Be merciful even as your father is merciful.
Judge not and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned, forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and it will be given to you. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

I suppose we all pick and choose small parts of big things that suit us. But this one passage is almost enough for me. It’s a set of commandments, like Moses’ ten, but directives all the same delivered by a man reportedly talking to a group of people in a flat place a long time ago. They are much harder to achieve than those laid down by Moses. Thou shall not kill is pretty much in the bag for most of us. Turning the other cheek proves to be more difficult doesn’t it?

I’m much more worried about our collective human souls than I am about my own. I’ll risk your concept of hell if by concentrating on this world if I can achieve some concrete results here.

I wish Christians, and churches, would apply Christian values and use their energy to achieve peace and justice and end violence. I wish they would turn their attention to changing life on earth rather than focusing on the hereafter. Christians have a lot of work to do. So do Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and Jews. We have problems. We need help. We need to feel we are not alone. We cannot despair. Maybe we need God.

OK that’s it. I’m declaring the Dave in the Shack religion series over, or at least suspended for a long time. Grumpee’s weenie wagon is about to open and I made a pledge during the winter to write a gourmand’s review of hot dog stands in the Ottawa area. Grumpee calls to me. A whole world of other possible subjects await. The Cubs are only one. Comment if you like on this one but I’m moving on. Thanks for your participation. This has been cathartic for me. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading. You’re a good bunch of people, in addition to being kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment